Friday, February 27, 2009

Daniel & Hanna Perazzo - Nevada


Shortly after we were married we decided that we wanted to start a family. We knew right away that something was wrong and found out that I have endometreosis. I had surgery to try to clear some of it up and we continued to dream about a baby. We felt like there were more questions than answers about what steps we should take next. After a lot of prayer and fasting, I was given a beautiful blessing where I was told that I needed to pursue the feelings that I had had concerning adoption. I had been researching agencies and was very impressed with LDS Family Services. I called to get the initial paperwork but was told that their policy would not allow us to adopt until we had been married for two years. I asked for the application anyway and quickly filled it out. It sat for more than four months...waiting for the day that we could send it in. In the meantime Daniel and I were trying to make the most out of each day and having fun together. We went to Disneyland and Ohio while waiting. We bought our first home and were busy fixing it up before we moved in. The day after we moved in, November 10th, 2006 we received a phone call that changed our lives.

I was on the computer at my parent's house when Daniel came in to talk to me. He said that I needed to turn the computer off and listen to him. I thought that someone had died or something! He said, "now don't get your hopes up, but my mom says that she may have found us a Christmas present." I, being sarcastic as always chimed in, "A Hummer?!" I will never forget my sweet husband looking me in the eyes and saying, "no. A baby girl." The questions started pouring out of my mouth and the tears came pouring out of my eyes. The next day Brinley's birthmother talked to my mother-in-law on the phone and told her that her daughter deserved a mom AND a dad and that she felt like we needed to be her daughter's parents.

For a few months I had had dreams and this feeling in my gut that our child would be bi-racial. When we found out about our little B no one said anything about it, but I kept insisting to Daniel that she was...she had to be! It was casually mentioned later that her birthfather was Chilean. And I knew. This little girl was meant to be our daughter.

She was due on December 18th. That was the longest 5 weeks of my life!!! Every time the phone rang we wondered it this was IT, THE CALL! She was born on December 14th, 2006 as Daniel and I were driving from Nevada to Utah to meet her. Our phone rang and Daniel's mom said the sweetest words he's ever heard, "hi DADDY!"

We met Brin when she was 12 hours old. We were both so nervous that were literally leaning on each other for support. We knocked on the hospital door and were invited in. Daniel's aunt was there and in her arms was a perfect little bundle with a mohawk of brown hair. Neither of us could really speak as we got to hold our daughter for the first time and visit with her birthmom. For those of you who have delivered your children, I'm sure you understand the spiritual experience that it is! Brinley's soul searched mine as we locked eyes and I felt like she and I both said, "welcome home" to each other.

Daniel & Hanna Perazzo
banana_durango@yahoo.com

No comments: